A HISTORY OF THE GRANGE GARDENS
In 2005 The Grange gardens began their latest rejuvenation, having been left to “go wild” over the preceding years. Our intention was to provide a community garden for villagers and visitors alike, whilst reflecting The Grange’s varied history. Whilst known as a Lutyens/Jekyll garden, that is only part of its history.
The trees at The Grange had suffered from the years of neglect prior to renovation. Working closely with Brighton & Hove City Council’s Tree Officers, we are carrying out a long term process of removing the damaging ivy, pruning diseased or damaged branches, or those who have overgrown thereby weakening the tree’s structure. The Holm Oak in the tea garden is over 200 years old. “Holm” is the ancient name for holly, hence why this tree is sometimes known as the Holly Oak. Originally from the Mediterranean, it was introduced here in the 15th century. Like several Mediterranean trees it drops many of its leaves in late spring to conserve water over the hot summer for its new growth. This is followed by its catkins which, when they fall, cover the beds underneath in fine yellow dust.
The Acacia trees in the NW corner of the front garden were described in 1900 by local poet, Aurelian Risdale, as “the ancient mother & daughter”. They had generations of ivy removed from them in recent years and finally rewarded us with flowers in 2016. Read full article